Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Learning to Bike Ride With Clip In Pedals

Last year I received a Cannondale Synapse road bike for my birthday.  I figured I needed to have all the right bicycle equipment on my new bike to help me look the part of an avid cyclist.

The bike came with most of the riding equipment that I would need, but I wanted to have clip in pedals.  I had been going to spin class for almost a year at my local gym and had been using them in class.  The pedals made me feel like I was using my legs more to pedal, which was giving me a great workout for my legs.

In class I used the Lateral Release clips that were easy to use and to clip in & out of.  With my new bike I chose to get the Shimano Ultegra, which are similar to the Look pedals.  I did not realize what a difference it would make.

Like I mentioned the Lateral Release were easy to use.  The Shimano Ultegra was a whole new learning experience.  Since they were new pedals, they were not quite as easy to clip in & out of.  Though it does have a handy allen wrench so that you can adjust them to your fitting.  The first day that I went on a ride, luckily I was with my boyfriend, I felt very awkward.  I had to keep reminding myself that my feet were clipped into the pedals instead of just on the pedals.  

We thought we would go on a ride through town, simple, easy and not too hard.  Think again!  We had come to a stop light and I was slowing down.  I thought that if I go slow enough that I would be able to keep my feet clipped in, then the light would turn green and off I would go.  The light stayed red, I came to a stop, by the time I realized it, it was too late to remember my feet.  I fell over like a domino.  There is nothing more embarrassing than to fall over in front of a few people on the street when you are trying to look good.  All I could do was laugh.  My boyfriend just looked at me like I was crazy.

That wasn't the only time I fell over.  We had just started and had only gone down to the end of our street and came to a stop, again forgot my feet were clipped in.  Luckily, this time I fell on grass.  My boyfriend just looked at me and said, "I feel like I am riding with an 8 year old."  I was laughing so hard I was in tears, because I did feel like an 8 year old.

I have had another incident with my pedals, but I am still learning.  I don't feel that it will ever become a second nature skill for me.  I will always have to remind myself that I have my feet clipped in.  Though I have only been riding with them for almost a year, maybe after years of rides, then I will be more comfortable with them.  As long as I am on my bike, pedaling...I look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment