Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Riding Terwilliger in Portland

It was another beautiful day in Portland, Oregon.  Of course, I wanted to take advantage of it by going on a bike ride.  Since I have been going on a few rides around town, I knew I was ready for something a little more challenging.  Ride up Terwilliger Boulevard.

I started the ride, like I always do, from NE Portland.  Usually the route I would take when I am going to do a bike ride up Terwilliger is along the river, across the Hawthorne bridge, up Hawthorne, make my change on to Broadway, then a short skip on SW 6th, to Terwilliger Blvd.

I had ridden this ride a lot last year, so I was a little skeptical as to how I was going to do on my first try.  And to my surprise, I did better than what I thought.  Broadway was definitely a challenge, but I knew if I set my pace and took it slow, I could make it all the way without stopping.  Since Broadway seemed a little challenging, I knew I was in for it with riding up Terwilliger.

The day was perfect.  The temperature was just right.  It wasn't too hot, but it wasn't cold.  I started on a slow pace up Terwilliger thinking I would take it like I did Broadway.  It was challenging in certain spots, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be.  Or Terwilliger was just being kind to me knowing this was my first attempt this year.  Once I had completed the ride it was the best feeling I could have imagined.  I did a lot better than I thought I would.

If you are looking for a good ride around town with some challenging parts, you should definitely think about taking Terwilliger for a spin.  I know the thought of riding it can be scary, but it is the best feeling in the world when you have completed the ride.  Give yourself a challenge, it will give bike riding a rewarding experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment